Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Super Power

Captain Apathy
I have Super Powers; I have no will to use them. I could fly but what's the point. My arms would probably get tired. I could run really fast but I don't really have anywhere to go. Yeah I'm pretty strong but I'm tired right now.

What are your super powers?

My husband and I have a good one. We constantly show up someplace before the line forms. Seem insignificant---that's us sitting at a table eating breakfast while you are standing in line, hungry and hungover! Yeah Baby!

Seriously though I am developing my super powers. I work with kids and I am learning where my strengths are. I think there is real power in allowing kids to be succeed. That is different than the current thinking and I will tell you why. As adults we think we KNOW how kids SHOULD be successful. We know what is best. There is a huge shift in allowing kids to tell me how they would like to be successful. How do they define success? And then I will use my powers to help them make that possible.
One student eluded me this year. Maybe this is because he is the most successful he will ever be. Maybe he is peaking in middle school/high school. MAYBE-just Maybe he didn't need or want my help-he will be successful on his own terms. Let's hope. The potential energy bottled up in that kid is staggering. I wonder what his super power will be.

I also want to be able to fly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing insignificant about our super power!

Anonymous said...

Mike and I have a similar super power, but I think it is because we get up earlier then all the hungover people...apparently we've gotten old ;P However, that super power is counter-acted by Mikes superpower that makes him hit every red light in the city.....

Anonymous said...

Mike and I have a similar super power, but I think it is because we get up earlier then all the hungover people...apparently we've gotten old ;P However, that super power is counter-acted by Mikes superpower that makes him hit every red light in the city.....